Sunday, February 15, 2015

If I Picked the Oscars - Best Picture

I have already laid out my personal nominations and winners for Best Actress (here), Best Actor (here), and Best Director (here) so here we are. Best Picture of the year.




As the Academy nominated 8 films this year, I will do the same. 



Birdman

It would be a crime to not include Birdman in the mix for Best Picture of the year, as unique films like this are so rarely given the recognition they deserve. The film works on every single level, as it can be appreciated for its excellent direction, the incredible performances, and for every single glorious technical achievement I picked up on throughout that practically had me drooling. This isn't just some one trick pony that will lose its luster on revisits either. Birdman is more of a, buy the Blu-ray, watch every single special feature to learn as much about the medium as possible, and then admire the movie for years to come.



The Tale of the Princess Kaguya

A best picture nominee for me, and yet it likely won't walk away with the Best Animated Feature award on Oscar night. This is how things usually work between me and the Academy, but I'm used to the disconnect. For me, The Tale of the Princess Kaguya is a work of art, a stunning slice of Studio Ghibli that, in time, will have it ranked up there among the previous masterpieces they have already released, like My Neighbor Totoro and Spirited Away. Quite simply, this is a sublime film.



Whiplash

Electric. So damn electric. Roughly a month since I sat down and lost myself in Whiplash and I can still feel the electricity pulsing through my veins, a film so expertly crafted and featuring a conclusion that literally had me on the edge of my seat. The power this work has had over me ever since it finished is intoxicating, I can't wait to see it again.



The Grand Budapest Hotel

I have said so, so many things about The Grand Budapest Hotel already, to wax poetic about it again here would be redundant. The Wes Anderson masterpiece I had been waiting for, it's as simple as that.




Interstellar

The grand ambitions of Christopher Nolan have paid off again, as Interstellar swept me off my feet and took me to places I have only dreamed of visiting before. I have mentioned before that I don't think this is a perfect film. I have heard some complaints that I honestly agree with. So why is it nominated for Best Picture then? Because I am a sucker for bold, big, and brash pieces of cinema, and I respect the hell out of a filmmaker who is willing to take the audience to places that will open up their minds to the wonders of paying the money it takes to go to the theater and experience a vision the way it was meant to be seen.



Winter Sleep

An absolute masterpiece and one of the finest examples of the beauty of performance art that I have seen in some time, Winter Sleep is easily the best foreign film I have witnessed this year and, in my world, one of the three best films of any kind, period. Remember that disconnect with the Academy I brought up earlier? Winter Sleep, somehow, wasn't even nominated in the Foreign Language category, let alone for Best Picture of the year. I have no comprehension how this oversight occurred, but no trophy or lack there of can challenge the way I feel about a work of art like this.



Gone Girl

If you go to the top of this post and click on the link to my previous post, regarding my nominations and winner for Best Director, you can read up on my deep, passionate love affair with the work of David Fincher. I am not going to go down that road again here, so I will just say this. Gone Girl is so perfectly crafted and so damn entertaining, I had a giant smile on my face throughout the entire experience when I saw it in the theater back in October. It is the type of movie that reminds me of why I love this particular medium so, so much. 


and the Oscar goes to...



Boyhood

Some who have seen Boyhood say nothing happens during the film. I say everything happens during it. Life happens during it, a story of living that is soaked in that magic realism that Richard Linklater loves to portray in his work. Some say that my love for the film is misplaced, that it is unworthy of such admiration. Tell that to the tears I shed during it's moments that are heartbreaking as well as those that inspire. 

Everyone has their own opinion, and mine is this: Boyhood isn't merely the best film of 2014. It is one of the greatest of all time.



6 comments:

  1. In my opinion not a good year for movies if that's the best imo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I not only think it was a good year, it was a deep year too. I am getting ready to post my top 50 of the year, because I feel damn great about 50 different films from 2014.

      You already see what my top 8 is above, so that won't exactly be exciting to unveil, haha.

      Delete
    2. i still have 8 more films to see from my 2014 list but i think MY best is set

      I have 9 favorites

      Inside Llewyn Davis
      The Lego Movie
      The Babadook
      Wetlands
      The Young and Prodigious TS Spivet
      What We Do in the Shadows
      Sin City A Dame to Kill For
      The One I Love
      Ernest & Celestine

      Delete
    3. Ah Inside Llewyn Davis is a great choice, a top one for me too but here in the States it was a 2013 release.

      Delete
  2. This is an amazing list Scott. 7 out of 8 of these films wouldn't have just been my Oscar picks, they also happen to make up my favourite films for 2014. The exception being Winter Sleep, only because I haven't seen it yet.

    And well, you already know my thoughts on Kaguya, very happy to see it get a mention, and deservedly so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I have said before Nicholas, great minds...

      Thanks sir! Pretty amazing how similar our tastes were in 2014.

      Appreciate you checking out the list.

      Delete