Thursday, October 5, 2017

Blade Runner Review




"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time...like tears in the rain..."



The year was 2007, and it happened on a cold, rainy November evening. My daughter was born only a month earlier, and with a whopping 30 some days of true adult responsibility under my belt I felt it was mandatory I go out and spend way too much money on myself. My wife agreed. We were young and dumb, and credit cards felt like a piece of plastic that opened a portal to free, flashy goods. Fucking monthly minimum payments and obscene interest rates weren't even on our radar. It was glorious.

My sights were set on obtaining my first flat screen television, but no chance I could spend that kinda scratch unless I could match it in the direction of the Mrs., whatever she wanted that could match the intoxicating splendor of dazzling images pouring into my rods and cones. Two years earlier in 2005, I had proposed to her but money was, to put it lightly, limited. She understood that I couldn't do much in the department of jewelry, so a dirt cheap ring slipped onto her finger, a symbol of love but not something one would rush to show off to their friends or family. That brings us back to that cold, rainy November evening. A ring. She wanted an actual ring, still none of this three months salary bullshit but one that at the very least might sparkle under the right light. She got a ring, and I got my big, beautiful TV. I know priorities differ from person to person, but I still feel like I got the better end of that deal.

Do you remember the high definition physical media format war? I sure do. Everyone knows what Blu-ray is, and hell, some of you have even moved onto 4K discs, but back in 2007 there was competition that went by the name of HD-DVD created by the brand Toshiba. I remember it well because I was one of the losers of the format war. I chose wrong. That very same November evening that I went home with a television, I also had an HD-DVD player and a few films to jump start a collection. The very first one I watched was Blade Runner, and my god it was so beautiful. A black screen with white font opening credits plastered across it never looked so sexy, and then it cuts to the glow of city lights and bursts of fire blasting from smokestacks scattered among buildings that seem never ending. Why not christen my new beloved high definition media player with a visually stunning masterpiece? It was the perfect choice.

The HD-DVD's are long gone, but I will always remember them and the way the rain felt coming in sideways across my face on that November evening thanks to Blade Runner, Ridley Scott's work of futuristic science fiction brilliance that transported audiences all the way into the year 2019. If only they knew back in 1982 just how little the world would look like the one an imagination was able to conceive of, but that isn't a complaint. Sure, the 1980's had me anticipating a future filled with flying cars, but witnessing the decay of a metropolis past its prime isn't exactly my cup of tea. What can I say, I am a suburbs kinda guy.





Lead by Harrison Ford with terrific supporting work from Sean Young, Edward James Olmos, Daryl Hannah and easily one of my favorite film villains of all time, Rutger Hauer as Roy Batty, the most remarkable thing about Blade Runner is the fact that the film hasn't lost a single step despite being released 35 years ago. I wasn't even born for another two years after audiences got to take their seats in the theater to witness this picture, and yet nothing feels dated. I will watch movies released 10 to 15 years after Blade Runner hit the cinemas that present a world that was designed to be mocked down the road, one that lived and breathed in its moment only with no prospects to survive into the future, yet Scott, cinematographer Jeff Cronenweth and writers Hampton Fancher and David Peoples managed to cohesively craft something that was destined to be a classic. 

Thousands of days have gone by since that night in November when I unwrapped my brand new electronics and gave Blade Runner its first HD spin, so many moments lost in time, like tears in the rain, yet I can still vividly remember that feeling of seeing this film look more stunning than I could have ever imagined. Maybe I can chalk it up to being such an exciting feeling, going out and doing something financially ill-advised and completely spur of the moment at a time when I quickly transitioned from a lifetime of total freedom to a sea of dirty diapers and middle of the night feedings and the terrifying realization that my existence had transferred from being about me to meaning so much more.

I wonder though, what if I had watched some shitty, forgettable film that night? Would it have tainted the memory I now have? Would I remember it at all? Perhaps none of it resonates without Blade Runner.



5/5

8 comments:

  1. Was the Blade Runner HD-DVD you bought that night the sick 6-disc collection with all the different versions on it? If so, when I gave you all my HD-DVDs I gave you another copy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Appreciate the additional "love" comment haha.

      Saw the sequel, really enjoyed it a lot, but I let too much time pass between seeing it and first sitting down to write about it and by the time I did I couldn't find the words. Needed to be fresh I guess.

      Did you see it? What did you think?

      Delete
  3. Very Well-Written Content. I found this blog unique and what i have been looking for, many thanks.Independence Day Messages Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good article interesting and useful

    Join and feel the thrill of playing Poker Site, Domino99, Pokerqq, QQ Online, Domino Qiu, Qiu Qiu Online, Poker Qiu Qiu which gives big wins only at http://Maxbetqq.net/ A trusted IDN Poker agent who gives big win big jackpot together. Poker Sites, Domino99, Pokerqq, QQ Online, Domino Qiu, Qiu Qiu Online, Poker Qiu Qiu.

    Supported by quality servers and very fair games 100% Player vs Player and no ROBOT interference in the MaxbetQQ Trusted Online Poker Site.

    HOT Promos at Maxbetqq's Trusted Online Poker:
    - Megajackpot Monthly Bonuses
    - 20% New Member Bonus (Minimum Deposit of Rp. 25,000 | Maximum Bonus of Rp.50,000)
    - 0.5% Roll Bonus
    - Deposit Bonus of Rp. 5000 every day
    - 10% Referral Bonus Up to 60%

    7 Games In 1 User ID:

    ✔️ Texas Poker
    ✔️ Domino QQ
    ✔️ Capsa Stacking
    ✔️ Ceme City
    ✔️ Mobile Apps
    ✔️ Super Ten
    ✔️ OMAHA Pot

    Maxbetqq Info You Can Directly Contact Via:

    Livechat: http://maxbetqq.net/
    Whatsapp: +66613295868
    WeChat: MaxbetQQ
    Line: MaxbetQQ

    QQ NET
    QQ.NET
    QQ PAGCOR
    ONLINE QQ
    DAFTAR QQ
    QQ ONLEN
    POKERQQ
    POKERQQIDN
    QQ ONLINE
    DOMINO QIU
    MAXBETQQ.NET
    SITUS POKER
    AGEN POKERQQ
    AGEN DOMINO99
    POKER QIU QIU
    QIU QIU ONLINE
    AGEN POKER UANG ASLI
    AGEN POKER TERPERCAYA

    ReplyDelete
  5. SA GAMING

    เสือมังกร

    Sa baccarat

    รับสมัค PR

    บาคาร่า

    sexyslot

    , really enjoyed it a lot, but I let too much time pass between seeing it and first sitting down to write about it and by the time I did I couldn't find t

    ReplyDelete