Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Final 2015 Golden Globe Predictions

On Sunday night, the 72nd annual Golden Globe awards will be handed out, and I am very much looking forward to seeing how everything shakes out. Here are my predictions of who will be bringing home the trophies, regarding the film side of the ballot only.



BEST PICTURE - DRAMA

Boyhood
Foxcatcher
The Imitation Game
Selma
The Theory of Everything


WHO WILL WIN: Boyhood
WHO SHOULD WIN: Boyhood
MOST LIKELY IF I'M WRONG: The Imitation Game....but I won't be wrong


BEST PICTURE - MUSICAL OR COMEDY

Into the Woods
Birdman
The Grand Budapest Hotel
St. Vincent
Pride


WHO WILL WIN: Birdman
WHO SHOULD WIN: The Grand Budapest Hotel...but I only say that because I still need to see Birdman
MOST LIKELY IF I'M WRONG: The Grand Budapest Hotel




BEST ACTRESS - DRAMA

Julianne Moore, Still Alice
Rosamund Pike, Gone Girl
Jennifer Aniston, Cake
Reese Witherspoon, Wild
Felicity Jones, The Theory of Everything


WHO WILL WIN: Julianne Moore
WHO SHOULD WIN: Rosamund Pike...but I only say that because I haven't seen Still Alice yet. 
MOST LIKELY IF I'M WRONG: Rosamund Pike


BEST ACTOR - DRAMA

Eddie Redmayne, The Theory of Everything
Steve Carell, Foxcatcher
Benedict Cumberbatch, The Imitation Game
David Oyelowo, Selma
Jake Gyllenhaal, Nightcrawler


WHO WILL WIN: Eddie Redmayne
WHO SHOULD WIN: Jake Gyllenhaal (my favorite performance of the year)
MOST LIKELY IF I'M WRONG: Benedict Cumberbatch




BEST ACTRESS - MUSICAL OR COMEDY

Julianne Moore, Maps to the Stars
Amy Adams, Big Eyes
Emily Blunt, Into the Woods
Helen Mirren, The Hundred Foot Journey
Quvenzhane Wallis, Annie



WHO WILL WIN: Emily Blunt
WHO SHOULD WIN: I have seen zero of these films, so I will just say Emily Blunt deserves it
MOST LIKELY IF I'M WRONG: Amy Adams


BEST ACTOR - MUSICAL OR COMEDY

Michael Keaton, Birdman
Bill Murray, St. Vincent
Ralph Fiennes, The Grand Budapest Hotel
Christoph Waltz, Big Eyes
Joaquin Phoenix, Inherent Vice


WHO WILL WIN: Michael Keaton
WHO SHOULD WIN: Ralph Fiennes (again though, haven't seen Birdman)
MOST LIKELY IF I'M WRONG: Ralph Fiennes...but I won't be wrong




BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

The LEGO Movie
How To Train Your Dragon 2
The Boxtrolls
The Book of Life
Big Hero 6


WHO WILL WIN: The LEGO Movie
WHO SHOULD WIN: How To Train Your Dragon 2 (but I won't complain if it's The LEGO Movie, both wonderful)
MOST LIKELY IF I'M WRONG: How To Train Your Dragon 2


BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

Ida
Force Majeure
Gett: The Trial of Viviane Amsalem
Tangerines
Leviathan


WHO WILL WIN: Ida....maybe...I really don't know
WHO SHOULD WIN: Required to say Ida because it is the only one I have seen, and it's really good, but I have a gut feeling I am going to love Force Majeure when I see it.
MOST LIKELY IF I'M WRONG: Force Majeure...but I have no confidence I am right in the first place, it feels like a toss up




BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Jessica Chastain, A Most Violent Year
Keira Knightley, The Imitation Game
Patricia Arquette, Boyhood
Meryl Streep, Into the Woods
Emma Stone, Birdman


WHO WILL WIN: Patricia Arquette
WHO SHOULD WIN: Patricia Arquette
MOST LIKELY IF I'M WRONG: I guess you can never count out Meryl...but I don't think I will be wrong


BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Ethan Hawke, Boyhood
Robert Duvall, The Judge
Edward Norton, Birdman
J.K. Simmons, Whiplash
Mark Ruffalo, Foxcatcher


WHO WILL WIN: Just watched Whiplash last night (review here), give J.K. the damn trophy!
WHO SHOULD WIN: I SAID, GIVE HIM THE DAMN TROPHY!
MOST LIKELY IF I'M WRONG: Edward Norton




BEST DIRECTOR

Richard Linklater, Boyhood
Ava DuVernay, Selma
Wes Anderson, The Grand Budapest Hotel
Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, Birdman
David Fincher, Gone Girl


WHO WILL WIN: Breaks my heart not to pick my man Fincher, but Linklater absolutely deserves this win
WHO SHOULD WIN: Richard Linklater
MOST LIKELY IF I'M WRONG: Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu


BEST SCREENPLAY

Wes Anderson, The Grand Budapest Hotel
Gillian Flynn, Gone Girl
Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, Nicolas Giacobone, Alexander Dinelaris, Armando Bo, Birdman
Richard Linklater, Boyhood
Graham Moore, The Imitation Game


WHO WILL WIN: Richard Linklater
WHO SHOULD WIN: Wes Anderson
MOST LIKELY IF I'M WRONG: The Birdman Crew




BEST ORIGINAL SCORE

Alexandre Desplat, The Imitation Game
Johann Johannsson, The Theory of Everything
Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, Gone Girl
Antonio Sanchez, Birdman
Hans Zimmer, Interstellar


WHO WILL WIN: Trent and Atticus, Gone Girl
WHO SHOULD WIN: Trent and Atticus, Gone Girl
MOST LIKELY IF I'M WRONG: Antonio Sanchez, Birdman...although I would love to see Zimmer steal a win.


BEST ORIGINAL SONG

Glory by Common and John Legend from Selma
Yellow Flicker Beat by Lorde from The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1
Big Eyes by Lana Del Rey from Big Eyes
Mercy Is by Patti Smith and Lenny Kaye from Noah
Opportunity by Sia from Annie


WHO WILL WIN: Common and John Legend, Selma
WHO SHOULD WIN: I have only heard two of these songs, and of those, that Lorde song is pretty great.
MOST LIKELY IF I'M WRONG: Lorde, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1




These are my official predictions for the 2015 Golden Globes. Just have to see how it shakes out on Sunday night before I can update on how I did. Any thoughts or predictions of your own?


No comments:

Post a Comment