Monday, December 1, 2014

Grumpy Cat's Worst Christmas Ever Review



Yes, I am writing a review of the Lifetime Original film Grumpy Cat's Worst Christmas Ever. If I had loved this movie, I would probably be ashamed to put words down and pretend as if it never happened. If I had hated this movie, I would have moved on with my life and chalked it up to the fact that my daughters excitement was the only reason I watched it in the first place.

I am writing a review for Grumpy Cat's Worst Christmas Ever because I didn't love it nor did I hate it. It was remarkably mediocre, and I am stunned.

Well, no, let me go back. It isn't truly mediocre. It is, of course, terrible, but the thing is, it knows that it's terrible and it embraces this fact. It's a damn made for television film based on an internet meme of a cat that constantly looks grumpy, therefore it never even remotely takes itself seriously, and you know what? I laughed out loud multiple times watching it. Not constantly or anything, it wasn't as if it was a knee slappin' good time that I would watch over and over on a bad day to feel good again, but I laughed some and I didn't loathe my existence at any point during it. Considering my expectations entering the experience, that is a massive win.

I sat through A Million Ways to Die in the West earlier this year and I punched myself in the face halfway through just to make sure I could still feel things. That film attempted to kill comedy forever, and I laughed literally zero times. Need for Speed had one really funny part in it in which the guy driving a car way too fast crashed and was on fire, but that wasn't supposed to be comedic, it was unintentional. Let's Be Cops was painfully unfunny, a film that elicited maybe a laugh or two, the key word here being maybe. That Awkward Moment is essentially a series of, well, awkward moments in which a way too talented to be doing this Miles Teller delivers cringe worthy material every single time he is on screen.

The point is, plenty of films that received major theatrical releases in 2014 have been awful, and technically so is Grumpy Cat's Worst Christmas Ever, but really, what the hell would you expect going in? Does anyone really even have the right to complain about it being a poor film? That's like ordering a piece of chocolate cake at a restaurant and then sending it back for not having any salmon on top of it. You know what you are getting when you sit down to watch a Lifetime Original film about a famous cat, and the shocking thing is, it could have been so much worse.


2/5

4 comments:

  1. I also grade movies on a curve. When watching South Park, I am not comparing it to Citizen Kane (even though it does have some highbrow subtext at times mixed in with a talking Christmas poo).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. You have to enter the experience with some perspective of what you are getting yourself into. When we recorded the damn Grumpy Cat movie on our DVR, I wasn't thinking it was going to define cinema going forward, I thought it was going to be an awful two hours. Turns out I laughed a handful of times, so I was pretty pleased with that.

      South Park does balance the poo and highbrow well, haha.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Dude...because the 7 year old was ridiculously excited to see it, and I figured what the hell.

      I laughed a few times too, haha. It really wasn't the awful nightmare I was expecting.

      Delete