Wednesday, February 28, 2018

My 50 Favorite Films of 2017 - #40 through #31




Alright, on to the next 10 films of my 50 favorites from 2017, this time those ranked between 40 and 31.




40. Long Shot

A Netflix original documentary that is only 40 minutes long, so you have no excuse not to watch it, and trust me, after you learn about this compelling, unbelievable true story you absolutely will appreciate that you spent the 40 minutes on it. I will say no more. Just watch it.

Long Shot is available now on Netflix.





39. I, Tonya

Terrific performances and the story of the insane reality of Tonya Harding, I, Tonya was definitely a memorable film experience from 2017, and while it may not have stuck the landing (sorry, had to) enough to be among the very best of the year, it's still a highly entertaining movie.





38. Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2

It was always going to be damn near impossible for writer/director James Gunn to duplicate the magic that was the first Guardians of the Galaxy, and sure enough it didn't happen, but this film is still an absolute blast and extremely well done.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is available now on Netflix.





37. Last Flag Flying

I have a soft spot in my heart for Richard Linklater so perhaps I am merely looking past some of the flaws of this film, but I can't help but consider Last Flag Flying one of the most overlooked and surely missed pictures of 2017. Great cast delivering some nuanced performances utilizing a touching screenplay, I was moved and completely enjoyed this film.





36. Alien: Covenant

I'm one of those crazy people who absolutely loved (check that, loves, still love it) Prometheus, so my excitement for Alien: Covenant was through the roof, and while perhaps this didn't quite delivery the same atmosphere and sense of dread that I got from the previous film, it still did more than enough to be a really satisfying entry into the franchise.





35. Atomic Blonde

A fun, thrilling, dizzying action showcase directed by David Leitch and lead by the great Charlize Theron, in a world of John Wick I had my doubts that a totally different film would be able to deliver a similar style and such brutal action but this delivers. Also, the single take staircase sequence was one of the best cinematic treasures of 2017.





34. War for the Planet of the Apes

A terrific conclusion to a really impressive trilogy of films, War for the Planet of the Apes has heart, drama, action, outstanding (and likely Oscar winning) visual effects and the usual top notch performances, especially from the motion-capture genius Andy Serkis. 





33. Okja

As soon as I heard Netflix had acquired a Bong Joon-ho film and I would be able to stream it immediately from the comfort of my couch, I knew I had to see it ASAP. That film is Okja and it did not disappoint, the story of a young girl named Mija and her super pig. Carried by a great story, huge amounts of heart and a social commentary that packs a punch, check out this one on Netflix if you haven't already.





32. Good Time

It's a challenge, being original with cinema these days considering it feels like everything has been done before in some way. Good Time, a crime film by brothers Benny and Joshua Safdie, is one hell of an original, exciting treat about a bank robbery gone wrong and a man desperately trying to figure out a way to get his brother out of jail. Lead by an outstanding lead performance by Robert Pattinson, give Good Time the chance it deserves.

Good Time is available now on Amazon Prime.





31. The Breadwinner

Unfortunately my 2017 list will not feature any more animation as I saw far less of it last year. The fact that my daughter is now 10 and is far more excited by Marvel then she is animation probably isn't a coincidence. That isn't to say animated movies are strictly kids movies, that is absolutely untrue, but finding the time to go see them all just wasn't in the cards anymore with a child that is growing up. There is one excellent film that you can watch right now at home that is nominated for the Best Animated Oscar, The Breadwinner, a picture about a young girl and her family living under the rule of the Taliban.

The Breadwinner is available now on Netflix.


2 comments:

  1. All great movies in their own right. And I've actually seen most of them!
    Quick Thoughts:
    I, Tonya: Thought it was good, but I didn't believe for a second that Margot Robbie was supposed to be 15-20
    Guardians 2: Disappointing.
    Last Flag Flying: I wanted to see this one so badly but it wasn't playing anywhere near me.
    Alien covenant: loved it. I think it's a great, near perfect, mix of Prometheus and Alien. Although I'm starting to lose hope that it actually will connect at some point.
    Atomic Blonde: Love the soundtrack, cinematography, and actors in it, but the story felt so bloated.
    Okja: This was amazing. It felt like a miyazaki film brought to life.
    The Breadwinner: I saw this movie in the morning right before I had to go to work. That was a mistake because it's such a beautiful yet emotional ride. If Coco didn't come out last year this would be taking home to Best Animated Film Oscar.

    Another great list, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time to address each of your points Cody, and as always I appreciate you making them:

      I, Tonya: Yeah, I agree that in terms of casting in regards to age it didn't really fit, but I thought Robbie was pretty great in it so I let it slide.

      Guardians 2: I still really enjoyed this (obviously, as it is listed) but disappointing is accurate for me when compared to the first. Just didn't have that same spark, although a sequel may have never had that no matter how good.

      Alien Covenant: I have the same loss of hope as you. I really want at least one more film, especially with the way Covenant ends, but I have this bad feeling it may never happen.

      Atomic Blonde: Funny enough I agree with you despite listing it so high, the story really took a back seat for me in regards to how I evaluated it. I just loved the other aspects you mentioned so much.

      Okja: Miyazaki brought to life is a terrific way to describe this actually, well done. I think I am going to steal that haha.

      The Breadwinner: I never saw Coco so The Breadwinner was easily my favorite animated of 2017 and would have been my Oscar choice, but outside of the Cars films, Pixar always has to be considered the favorite with the Academy.

      Delete