Monday, January 4, 2016

Room Review




The isolation. The claustrophobia. The circumstances. Room is a horrifying yet completely gorgeous film experience, one that was enhanced because of my lack of knowledge regarding, well, anything. I literally knew nothing beyond that it had something to do with a young woman, a child and a room. I didn't know who they were or why they were in the room. I honestly didn't even know if the tone of the film would be optimistic in nature or filled with anguish and pain, and the answer to that turned out to be, a lot of both.

Room strikes a sublime balance between a warm heart and a gut punch, and I experienced both frequently throughout. The driving force behind the movie is the performance of Brie Larson, one that will almost certainly receive the recognition it deserves; an Oscar nomination for Best Lead Actress. She is astonishing as a woman raising a child in less than ideal circumstances, a human being that is often times on the brink of total mental collapse and absolutely no one could blame her for this. 

The supporting performance from child actor Jacob Tremblay is also beyond admirable, but the Jack character provided the only hiccup for me during an otherwise overwhelming and inspiring piece of cinema. The boy is 5 and has had a very unfortunate childhood to say the least, and I found some of his dialogue to be a tad tough to swallow because it felt a bit contrived, written oh so perfectly to make your heart melt rather than just allow it to happen with words that felt more authentic. It isn't an issue throughout and it doesn't even come close to ruining a great film, but the fact that a few times I felt like I was being manipulated to care ended up being enough to stop Room from being one of the masterpieces of 2015. That's okay though. Being a great, emotionally draining and touching movie isn't so bad in the end. 



Room made me want to go outside and lay in the grass and look up at the sky for a bit. Appreciate the wonder above and recognize that we all take our opportunity to do that for granted, to see the clouds or the stars or the sun or the moon and remind ourselves how big and beautiful the world can be. 



4.5/5

5 comments:

  1. Wow, I hadn't even heard of this film....looks thoroughly engrossing! Will have to check it out.
    Also, feel free to check out my +Google account and visit my site, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely check this out Kim. If all goes the way it should, Brie Larson will win the Best Actress Golden Globe tomorrow night for this film.

      I will absolutely do that, I will head to your page/site now. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. This was amazing. Brie Larson definitely deserved the Oscar for this. The tension in the truck scene. And I wanted to punch that TV interviewer. Amazing.
    5/5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, glad you enjoyed it so much! We bought the Blu-ray because Megan really wanted to see it (and after selling the digital copy code I essentially only spent 9 bucks on it). She had read the book so she had high standards, but the film met them. I think it helps that the author of the novel wrote the film as well, that seems to be a trend lately and it tends to pay off with a really admirable adaptation.

      The second time I saw this, my opinion of it went even higher. The slight issues I had with it, specifically with some of the dialogue from Jacob Trembley, didn't really bother me at all the second time. Raised my score to 5/5 as well.

      Delete