Thursday, September 10, 2015

Bran Nue Dae Review





I never thought I would enjoy musicals. I always found the concept of characters singing and dancing rather than just speaking dialogue to be rather awkward and it removed me from the experience rather than letting me truly invest in the story and buy in to its authenticity. 

Then I saw Singin' in the Rain. It's one of the greatest films I have ever witnessed.

So perhaps this musical thing is for me after all. Maybe, just maybe, the door to my cinematic heart had been closed off unfairly to the genre for all these years and it would burst open to all sorts of new and different joyous experiences.

That is still a possibility. I am still open to the idea that my cold anti-musical heart will be warmed by more than just Singin' in the Rain. The Australian picture Bran Nue Dae is not the one to do it though.




It isn't a bad film nor is it one I hated, but I was reminded of the old days of musical negativity during the entire movie. I just didn't care, I didn't buy it. I was turned off by the songs and the dancing and the general vibe of the experience, but I kept a level headed and found ways to appreciate the bright spots shining through my dark, gritty drama loving soul.

It's a well made film with plenty of charm, and kudos to the extremely talented Geoffrey Rush for finding a way to entertain in the midst of all the various sequences that just didn't click for me. Here is my best way to sum up the problem I had with Bran Nue Dae: throughout the whole movie, I kept thinking about how I should watch Singin' in the Rain again soon. Not enough of what was happening on the screen in front of me held my interest. 

I will keep trying though. I won't give up. There must be musicals out there that will put a smile on my face and make me want to jump to my feet and dance. 



2.5/5


No comments:

Post a Comment