Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Lost Highway Review




July 4th. Here in the United States of America, it is a day that is reserved to celebrate the independence of our nation by eating piles of delicious grilled meats while drinking numerous alcoholic beverages and, eventually, looking up at the night sky as a spectacle of exploding lights illuminate the world and dazzle our senses.

All of those things are awesome, but the most memorable part of my July 4th this year came hours before any of the events tied to the holiday began. I had a hot cup of coffee in my hand and I was dazzled by a spectacle in front of me, one that baffled me, scared me, and reinforced my love for cinema. 




David Lynch.

It seems if I watch one of his films for the first time, I end up saying those words soon after each experience: reinforced my love for cinema. His work never makes a lick of sense to me after one viewing. Hell, they may not after ten. Who gives a shit? It is through his strange, abstract lens and the bizarre methods he utilizes to tell a story, shifting between characters perspectives and tones and settings to the point that no picture he crafts could ever feel tired or mundane. At times Lost Highway terrified me, especially during the first half as the plot involved a shadowy home, a series of mysterious videotapes and a nightmare inducing performance from probably real life murderer Robert Blake. At times I found some uncomfortable humor and delight in the narrative, because it is impossible not to laugh at an enraged Robert Loggia chasing down a man in a road rage sequence. At times the film navigates through the fog of weird to intoxicate the viewer with a sexy and seductive performance from Patricia Arquette, a very different look at her as an actress after my recent love affair with her Oscar winning turn in Boyhood




Regardless of what Lost Highway achieved, it always achieved something. I was in some way moved at every beat, every pause, every turn. The atmosphere is haunting and electric, giving me a fireworks show far earlier than the grand finale that soared majestically over our heads that night. 

Lost Highway, or any work from David Lynch for that matter, isn't for everyone. That is a certainty. 

It certainly is for me though. 




5/5

6 comments:

  1. As with most of Lynch's films, I have only seen them once and all I recall is "F'd Up, but loved them." My favorites are probably Twin Peaks, Mulholland Drive, and The Straight Story (very NOT Lynchian). I still have no idea of what the hell Eraserhead was about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have never seen a single moment of Twin Peaks (plan on catching up entirely before the new series starts) and I also have never seen Eraserhead, although with that ready on Hulu I would imagine it will be happening sooner rather than later.

      Delete
  2. What? I had no idea there's to be a new Twin Peaks! Dang, I'll have to look into that.

    Back when video stores were still a thing, my sister and I rented a couple discs of the series every Sunday until we'd watched all of Twin Peaks in its entirety, including the film. It was a great way to spend the winter weekends! I agree, Lynch isn't for everyone. But neither am I. I tend to over-analyze and with Lynch's work I don't feel the urge to b/c it's impossible to make sense of his amazingly nonsensical world. When I watch Lynch I take it all in but I leave it all behind...somehow I think the transcendental meditator in him wouldn't want it any other way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, David Lynch is running the show again as well Donna. I'm excited to catch up on the original series to prepare for the new limited run.

      You approach Lynch perfectly Donna. Just go with the flow, and what an amazing flow his cinematic world creates.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. loved your writing style. your blog is amazing. Have been going through some of your posts, will def. recommend to others.Whatsapp Status on Independence Day

    ReplyDelete