Friday, May 8, 2015

Prisoners Review




Keller Dover is a family man, a husband and a father of two and there isn't a thing in this world he wouldn't do for those he loves. Keller Dover is a god fearing man, devout in his faith to a lord that watches over him and his. Keller Dover also lacks trust in humanity on a grand scale, as he is always prepared for the possibility of a doomsday scenario. The end of the world. It sounds like such a blanket and simplistic concept, the end of the world, as in the planet and/or the people that occupy it would cease to exist, but I also think the world can end on a much more intimate level. It depends entirely on how you define the word "world".

Keller Dover had canned goods and gas masks ready to protect his family, but what he failed to account for was the possibility that his daughter could disappear one day while playing outside. Just like that, she has vanished, a tiny and helpless little girl, kidnapped by someone capable of harming a child. No matter how much he loves her, that alone won't bring her back home. No matter how strongly he believes in a deity, prayers seem like empty words when the god you trusted allowed her to be taken away in the first place. Keller Dover may have prepared for the end of the world, but when his existence is collapsing around him, when his own world is ending, Keller Dover isn't prepared in the least.  

If you haven't made the acquaintance of the film Prisoners, a masterful and chilling work by director Denis Villeneuve, please do so as soon as possible. It isn't a joyous experience, as it covers both child abduction and the darkness that fills the heart of a parent when they must determine how far is too far to look for answers to bring them back, but if you are simply a fan of exquisitely crafted and constantly compelling thrillers, Prisoners is near the top of the list.  




In his pursuit of evil, Keller Dover finds it in himself and thus a fascinating ethical question is raised to the viewer: if it were you, would you do the same? It's easy to say no instantly and believe you are better than that. It's easy to simply say things like "I would let the justice system do their jobs.", but heaven forbid you find yourself in that scenario, a child taken from you and a possible suspect in your grasp, lord only knows what you or I would be capable of.

I look myself in the mirror and ask, what would I do if I were in the shoes of Keller Dover?

Honestly? I think I may do the same damn thing.


5/5

6 comments:

  1. i NEED to See This Now!! Thank you For This Review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do watch it Tara, and thank you for the kind words.

      Thank you for reading, I really appreciate it.

      Delete
  2. The movie does seem interesting from reading your review, so it's on my list. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and the feedback Michelle, I appreciate it.

      I hope you enjoy it. It's dark and the subject matter is pretty grim, but it is done so, so well.

      Delete
  3. This movie was brilliant. I had kind of the same feeling than when I watch Seven. I definitely recommend it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I absolutely feel the Seven comparison Dave, without a doubt. Which is one of my all time favorites, so easy to see why I connected so well with Prisoners.

      Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did, great to hear and thanks for your thoughts.

      Delete