Friday, March 6, 2015

Iron Man Review




While I am now an excitable fan of comic book/superhero films just like the vast majority of the planet, not long ago I was completely in the dark regarding the sub-genres as a whole. I literally did not see a moment of the first set of films from the Marvel Cinematic Universe until a month or two before the release of The Avengers, when I decided to see what all the fuss was about.

I quickly ran through the five preceding films, learning about the characters, discovering their connective tissue, exploring their worlds, and I realized what I was missing out on during those years of ignoring the existence of characters like Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, and Hulk: a whole shit ton of fun. Are any of the Phase One films perfect cinema? Modern masterpieces dripping with rich subtext and art house sensibilities? Of course not. Hell, I think one of the movies is flat out bad, although the revisit coming soon will be approached with an open mind. The point is, I don't demand perfection nor do I desire losing sleep as I ponder the nuance of a movie about a guy in a cool metal suit. It's okay to crave simple, flashy fun.

Even with their shortcomings, films like the original Iron Man manage to warm my heart and put a giant smile on my face because I look over at my daughter and realize that in this moment, she thinks the images on the screen are the coolest thing imaginable. At one time, I was that kid too. I refuse to let go of the part of me that still recognizes and cherishes that, the part of me that holds those memories near and dear, the days when the sights and sounds of cinema felt like a magic trick and I didn't even feel compelled to peak behind the curtain. 




I just wanted to see it again and behold the wonder of it all. 


4/5

10 comments:

  1. are you going to watch them all in order before Avengers AOU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah roughly in order. I always forget which came first, Thor or Iron Man 2...so whichever order of that works.

      Delete
  2. Phase One

    Iron Man (2008)
    The Incredible Hulk (2008)
    Iron Man 2 (2010)
    Thor (2011)
    Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
    The Avengers (2012)

    Phase Two
    Iron Man 3 (2013)
    Thor: The Dark World (2013)
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
    Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)


    There ya go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah thank you sir, I remembered most of those, just not the order of Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2 and Thor

      Delete
    2. so your next film is Incredible Hulk with the very talented Edward Norton who has never won an Oscar i fear that eventually he will win for one of his "lesser films" because its "his time"

      Delete
    3. He was worthy of the nomination for Birdman. Unfortunately, he ran into the Whiplash of J.K. Simmons

      Delete
  3. so i'll start 10 days before it opens in Australia
    Hopefully I can get GotG cheap on blu somewhere

    ReplyDelete
  4. RDJ really set the tone for the Marvel movies and he is spot on. I loved his performance. His excitement when he first takes the suit into flight got me excited. This one, Avengers, and Cap 2 are my favorites

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yeah, RDJ is absolutely the perfect fit for Tony Stark. I have read people suggesting they would recast the role at some point, and I understand why technically on a business level. The character may outlive the contract of an actor, but man I can't picture anyone else filling these shoes.

      Delete
    2. I myself can take him or leave him i've always pictured Timothy Dalton as Stark and if this was Hollywood heyday Errol Flynn
      If they can recast Bond they can recast ANYONE imo

      Delete