Friday, October 17, 2014

A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge Review




Horror is typically my least favorite genre, not due to a lack of fine options but mostly because dead teenagers and gore don't click with me the way a science fiction adventure or a moody, brilliant thriller do. 

I revisited the extremely entertaining horror classic the other day, the original Nightmare on Elm Street, and I realized something: I had never seen a single other film from the series. Not only no full features, no scenes, no moments, nothing. Any images of Freddy Krueger dancing through my head had been derived from one single film, and that needed to change.

Did it though? Did it need to change?

Part 2, Freddy's Revenge, is a terrible film. Everything that I admire about the original film is completely absent in this strange follow up that seems to be addressing some sort of subtext about being a homosexual, but if this was attempting anything meaningful thematically it was lost on me, as the tone of this film went beyond a fun and manageable level of camp and left me wondering if it was just a poorly executed satire. 

The original film worked for me because the concept of being afraid to go to sleep, that any time you close your eyes a man could be waiting for you to ensure that you never wake up, is haunting and beyond compelling. This sequel totally shits all over these elements, it is void of anything even remotely scary, and I had zero fun watching any of it.

I have been told Part 3, Dream Warriors, is a far superior effort than this. I certainly hope so. A character as iconic as Freddy deserves far, far better.




1/5

No comments:

Post a Comment